Friday, June 15, 2012

Fire and Rain

This morning we woke up around 7 to get ready to play at the Chinese Secondary school in KK. After some coffee and dim sum, we packed up the van and headed to the school. On the way, we saw in the morning paper that there had been a fire last night in the auditorium where we were to perform. We called ahead and found out that everyone was ok and that they moved all the instruments to another building.

When we arrived at the school and walked up the stairs, I felt right at home, because it's traditional to take off your shoes before entering the room. Johnny joked with everyone and told them that I always play with my bare feet anyway, so I finally had found a home;) Yesterday when some students had asked me why I play the bass drum and hi hat pedals with bare feet, I told them I don't wear gloves on my hands, so why cover my toes;)

The students at this Chinese school in Malaysia were so wonderful, smart and talented. It was one of our favorite school audiences yet.

Johnny always gets someone up to conduct the band and this usually breaks the ice for audience participation. We had lots of student instrumentalists and singers join us on some tunes and we all had such a great time. We broke up into smaller groups and we got to talk with the students about our instruments. The president of the School presented us and the US Embassy with some banners for appreciation of our visit. We had so much fun taking pictures with everyone.

Can you find me in the next photo?;)

Tonight we are playing at the Jazz Festival and have a little time to rest. It might rain tonight, but the show will go on, either way we are looking forward to playing, having fun with the crowd and some surprise guests. Can't wait to share the evenings pictures and stories with you later:)

No comments:

Post a Comment